Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sad News on the chicken front

As you know from reading my blog, I am having an overpopulation of chickens right now. Well, be careful of what you complain about. Last night a fox dug under my chicken tractor and killed my 4 Buff Orpington's. It took 2 and left 2 behind. We went out today and purchased some moth balls to hang around rooster run and the other remaining chicken tractor as well as a baby monitor to listen for noise. I am also planning on staying up late with my .22. I don't know why I didn't take better precautions after we spotted a fox this weekend, as they say hindsight.
I had a box for the hens to go into at night in the tractor, but it didn't close, I guess I will be making some modifications before the next batch has to move in. The Serama's are still in their tractor, but they have a secure box inside theirs.
It is a shame, because I really liked the Buff's, I think they were the prettiest girls I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment